Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Crazies



I saw this baby in theaters, but I rewatched it over the week so let me give you a bit of what I thought of it. First off, The Crazies revolves around small and rural fictitious town in Iowa. Everything is as it should be in this peaceful little town, that is until a local man stumbles onto a baseball field in the middle of a game. Not so bad you say? Well, the man is clutching a shotgun. So, yes, this causes quite a commotion. The man is confronted with local sheriff David (Timothy Olyphant) with his deputy Russell (Joe Anderson) by his side. During a increasingly hostile and bizarre attempt to have this man put down his gun, the man makes a quick move to shoot the sheriff but instead meets a quick demise as the horrified  David rushes to his side, smoking gun still in hand.



This of course, is only the beginning as more and more town folk begin to act erratically and outright hostile. David, his wife Judy (Radha Mitchell), and Russell must stay alive long enough to find out what is destroying their once beloved city. It doesn't help that the town is under a secret government quarantine where no one is allowed in or out and all phone and internet connection is non-existant. Just wait until the military moves in! Guns-blazing! Or did I give too much away?



The movie, it's ok. I suppose it's worth a viewing if you like a quick horror with a lot of violence (oh yeah). Along with the violence, this film uses a lot of cheap scares with the camera. The bad guy is behind you scare and they use it quite a bit. Also they let the viewer know they are supposed to jump at certain times be afraid when they raise the music (the score) of the film at certain times. They do this way too often. This is a simple movie, easy to follow, and I guess they need to let the audience know when they should be frightened. This is not a subtle film. Also, I am not big on visuals but the ending scene of this movie is simply breathtaking the way the use a heightened color and the special effects during this scene are honestly breath-taking. One of the coolest if not horrific things I have seen in a movie.



I give it a C. There, my first grade.
Trailer:
 


Oh! And here is a great questionaire to find out how you would taste to a cannibal! Need I say more? 
I taste like a broiled fish apparently. 



Vertical Horizon - Best I Ever Had


2 comments:

  1. Seems I would taste like boiled chicken. That is a scary thought this is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boyfriend and I went to see this movie at the theater. I thought it was a pretty okay movie as far as "scary" movies go. It was different than I expected and I thought that they could have done more but over all it was worth seeing.

    ReplyDelete