Thursday, September 23, 2010

Career

Ack, this blogging business is proving to be difficult. I'm reading everyone's blogs and I find myself sweating nervously. There so good (for the most part - I won't name any names, you know who you are) and well my blog is anything but! I guess that's what happens when you throw a a business major into a class of english majors. I'm gonna have to swim fast to keep afloat. As Frank Drebin (sp?) from the Naked Gun would say, "It's fourth and fifteen and your looking at a full court press."




Or maybe Michael Scott says it best:


Kind of unrelated? Maybe. But you know it's funny.

Anyways...enough of my lamenting...I've been doing a lot of thinking lately (does several months count as lately?) and I've made the decision (crazy? Enough with the parenthesis? I'll try) to start my own small business. Where to begin? Well, both my father and grandfather have been in the wholesale food business for close to 30 years. They import and sell cases of pasta and sometimes olive oil to restaurants and stores and the like. The pasta part is due to my mother's side as my grandmother was actually born in Italy. Close to Naples I believe. The business was originally started by my grandfather - he is a hell of a businessman as well, the man could sell sand in a desert - cliche I know - the trick is he takes the time out of life's busy schedule to get to know each and everyone and show up-most interest and kindness to them. Not one of my gifts in life but I digress.


For years, pretty much my whole life actually I've never wanted to get into it, it just has never been by goal in life. My dad actually always pushed me away from such a path. He is determined to see that I get a law degree, which I will as well (why do you think I'm in this class? Ack! The parenthesis again!), but I've deciding on my own to follow this course as well as law. It actually came to me as a kind of revelation, a bolt of lighting from God I say half-jokingly. I was biking several months ago and it just kind of hit me aside the head as I was struggling up a rocky hill. And just like that, my entire life was changed - transformed. It was very hopey-changey.


Is anyone still reading this? Anyway, I went up to the Michigan Chamber of Commerce I think it was and formally applied as a LLC (limited liability company) and am now officially a business. I still think the whole idea is a little crazy, I mean I'm 20 and I'm starting a business during a recession no less, but I feel as if I have to and I'm super excited to boot. I will get actively involved and get this baby up and running in the winter semester and cluster my classes to only three days so I will have time to work on this company. Wish me luck.


...



What? You thought I was done? This is a ramble so you shouldn't that surprised/shocked/in full rebellion now should you?


Song of the day: Louis Prima: Just a Gigalo. I love this song.








Jack Handy quote:
"A good way to threaten somebody is to light a stick of dynamite. Then you call the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone. "Hear that?" you say. "That's dynamite, baby."

Hey, he's not for everyone.

9 comments:

  1. I like your blog. I think it's entertaining. :) I think it's neat that you're starting a business. Best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's admirable that you're starting a business! It has to take a lot of hard work, so I wish you the best of luck! It also takes work to write, so don't get discouraged if writing isn't your strongest asset. Hopefully you enjoy it somewhat, because I guess it would suck to be in this class if you didn't. Good luck =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! To umm...both of you. Now that my blog is entertaining I guess I can slack off some then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No worries, I think your blog is good, too. Starting a business, eh? Wish you the best of luck...
    As for slacking off some...I wouldn't until after the end of this semester, then slack off buddy... big time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post Robert, even though you might be nervous, keep pushing at it, I know with me being a English major, I've got nervous with every post I've done so keep pushing at it. Oh yea, good luck with the business!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robert,
    I think the blogs are entertaining but I must admit I found my mind wandering near the end but that's just because I have the attention span of a two year old ;) I thought this post especially was quite entertaining. As for starting a business, good luck! I'm self-employed but I work for a jewelry company...so technically I work for someone else but I am still my own boss. I guess I'm trying to say that I don't OWN my business but I get to set hours, etc. What are you going to start for your business? I think I missed that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL well you wanted comments you got them LOL OK I guess I missed the part about what kind of business your starting?!? I read through it several times but did not see or maybe it was so plain it totally went unseen. Anyway I wish you the best of luck with life and all it has to offer all the ups and downs together because you need to downs to appreciate the ups. And to boost your ego one more time you are a good writer no worry just write what is on your mind and they come to read. People are more interesting than they think!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoops! Sorry about that, I'm planning on basically doing what my dad is doing and selling pasta and related products. He's semi-retired and recommended I start my own company.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pasta? Tell me more...you got my attention with food! Your blog is great, and I think you're being a bit self-critical. Your blog offers something different, its light and fun, and I never know what you'll write about next. You have more followers than I do on my blog, but who the heck cares about my dogs. (Ha...ha...). I think your blog is witty and different, so work with it!

    ReplyDelete